A planning application has been submitted to build Boxpark 3, directly on Shoreditch High Street on the old Texaco/Co-op site. The application seeks approval for a bar/restaurant, made of shipping containers, with an open garden and seating on the roof, serving up to 340 people. Hours are from 7am to 2am (with set up and wind-down, possibly as long as 23 hours a day). The full application can be found by clicking here.
The SCA has prepared this fact sheet based on the application and objections: Boxpark 3.
Concerns highlighted include:
- Middle of a highly residential area
- Significant outdoor seating leading to noise, with seating for over 340 people
- Operating hours early in the morning and late into the night
- No significant soundproofing
- Site is inappropriate given Shoreditch’s significant safety and security issues with violence, vomiting, urination, defecation, drug use and unsociable conduct late into the night.
- Project does not diversify the night-time economy in any way, eliminates day-time retail (Co-op and Texaco) in favour of additional food and drink.
Concerned? Want to voice an opinion? Next steps?
- Based on feedback from members, the SCA recommends that residents strongly object to the application. Deadline is May 19th.
- The SCA is meeting the applicant on May 13th to discuss concerns and explain objections.
Contact the SCA ASAP on email@example.com. Planners do listen, but you have to speak up.